Couples rehab is a type of treatment for couples who are struggling with addiction. It can be difficult to find the right help to get sober, particularly if you’re dealing with issues of codependency along with issues related to alcohol or drug addiction. At Hillside Mission Recovery we understand the struggles that come with addiction, rather as an individual or a couple and we’re here to help you find the right path to sobriety.
In this post, we’ll explain the nature of couples therapy as well as the pros and cons and how it can help you and your loved one.
What Is Couples Rehab?
Couples rehab is a type of addiction treatment that is geared toward couples. The goal of this type of treatment is to help the couple learn how they can be supportive and helpful in one another’s sobriety or recovery process.
Couples rehab provides an opportunity for each person to focus on their individual addiction as well as developing skills that will allow them to maintain a healthy relationship when going forward into life sober.
By focusing on positive habits surrounding living sober as a couple, breaking the cycle of addictive behavior, and figuring out the triggers and stressors that lead to substance abuse, treatment helps couples not only get sober but to live a life together that is free of drugs and alcohol.
Oftentimes when drug and alcohol addiction enter a relationship, it can create a cycle of continued use because one person continues using, even if the other gets clean. The goal of couples rehab is to get both people sober.
Pros of Couples Rehab
- The ability to work with your partner while you both are working towards rebuilding trust and healthier communication patterns helps couples feel supported, which assists them in doing better than they would do on their own.
- Couples therapy also teaches partners coping mechanisms such as anger management, boundary setting, problem-solving techniques, etc., so if there’s ever a relapse or slip-up, they can use what’s been taught to maintain sobriety.
- It gives couples a place to turn other than individual rehab programs which may not be able to handle the problems of an addicted couple.
Cons of Couples Rehab
- The cost and programs available at a couples rehabilitation center vary greatly both in price as well as the types of treatment offered (from simply meeting with an addiction counselor once per week all the way up to intensive therapy sessions). It could be difficult for many people who need this type of care financially or logistically.
- It may be difficult to convince both parties in a relationship that therapy is necessary, in these cases, it can be tough to get the proper treatment for an addicted couple.
How Can Couples Rehab Help Me?
Couples rehab can provide couples with a place to turn to other than individual rehabilitation programs which may not be able to handle the problems of an addicted couple.
This type of treatment will focus on both individuals in different ways, depending on what their needs are and how they typically react or work together as a team when dealing with addictive substances.
Some couples counseling sessions might involve one partner talking about his or her struggles while being supported by the person who is clean. Other times, partners act out scenarios that have been difficult for them before working through them together so that they know better how to deal with these situations soberly next time around.
At Hillside Mission Recovery, our goal is to get you and your loved one the treatment and services you need to get clean and stay clean. Dealing with addiction alone is tricky. It’s important to get the right help you need for your unique situation.
If you or a loved one are dealing with addiction, contact Hillside Mission Recovery today and let us get you started on the path to sobriety.